Friday, December 20, 2013

The Furry Ball

Once, I caught you masquerading at a party as a man. The lions walked by, shaking their manes. Tigers crossed your path, tails swishing. Then the dogs, the wolves and coyotes. The bears. The birds, one by one, and the creatures of the sea. You said, all your friends go to parties dressed up as animals. You said, how strange.

But on the dance floor, you were the one out of place.

One time, I caught you masquerading at a party as a man. The get-up was very good, I'll hand you that. With mask secured firmly in place, the seams were nearly imperceptible. Again, I will say: it was quite good, and yet you left a long string hanging from the end of your coattails. Just dangling there. And all I had to do was pinch it between my thumb and forefinger as you walked away.

As it turns out, we're not really so very different, you and I. We all hide an animal inside, somewhere.

The secret is, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

No comments:

Post a Comment